Site Meter

Monday, February 20, 2012

I can’t motivate anyone …

Legendary football coach Lou Holtz once said, "I can't motivate anyone. All I can do is remove those who won't motivate themselves."

I think about that every time I teach "Motivation Theory" in my classes. His quote begs the question:

Is motivation something that our boss does to us, or is it something we do for ourselves?

Gretchen Spreitzer and Robert Quinn make a similar point about empowerment in their book, A Company of Leaders. They state that empowerment is not something someone does to you, but something you do for yourself.

If this is true, what is the leader's role in empowerment and motivation?

I think my job is to create an environment where people can empower themselves by providing the resources and tools they need.

I need to run interference and remove the obstacles – just like any good left tackle does!

I need to give them "permission" to empower themselves … and to not resent it and punish them when they do.

I can’t motivate anyone …