Site Meter

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Twelve Commandments for Leading Change

One of my favorite courses is Leading Change. I am now developing an on-line version of the course. (Yes, I am now teaching on-line! In fact, Leading Change is the third course I have developed for the on-line platform.)

Developing courses to be taught in an on-line environment forces a discipline of thought that is not my normal mode of operating or preference. Yet, the discipline required has also become a tool for creativity. I never thought that discipline could lead to creativity and this proves that an old dog (aka tenured, "senior faculty member") can learn new tricks.

As I was recapping the key ideas for my Leading Change class, I created a summary of Twelve  Commandments for Leading Change. In this and the next few posts I will be sharing these ideas.

I am interested in your response to these ideas.

Are there any additional "commandments" that should be added?

1. Leadership is not about me. But it begins with me. If I am to be an effective leader in any context, I must first be the kind of person people want to follow. In the context of my Legacy Leadership model, I need to be worthy of imitation. This means that the leadership process must begin with intense self-examination. The self-examination must include my motives, my values, and a deep understanding of my personal case.


2. I must be the change that I want to see. Too many power wielders - they aren't real leaders! - identify a need for change and then tell the people that they - the people - need to change, yet are unwilling to make the necessary changes themselves. This creates a huge credibility gap and power wielders who follow this approach will not be successful in authentically engaging the people in the transformation process.

3. Character Counts! People have to buy in to the leader before they will buy in to the vision. If I am to lead with integrity I must constantly confront my own lack of integrity. We must be intentional about cultivating our character.

Our Being > Doing; Doing = f(Being). Being is greater than our doing. And our doing must flow from our Being.

No comments: