Site Meter

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Leadership Imperative

A recent book was titled “Why Should Anyone Be Led By You?” That’s a really good question. Why should anyone be led by you? Why should anyone follow you?

If you had to take a philosophy or ethics class in college, you probably remember Immanuel Kant. He is famous for his “categorical imperative.” This was a general rule that Kant developed for ethical decision-making. According to this rule, we should "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

Here’s my paraphrase: In any situation I should act in such a way that if other people in the same situation acted the same way it would be OK with me. (Now, some of my philosophy colleagues might not give me an A for that, but I think it gets to the essence of Kant’s meaning).

What about a “Leadership Imperative”? Could we develop a general rule for leaders?

A good way to get at this issue is to answer this question: Are you worthy of imitation?

As I study the leadership model provide by the Apostle Paul, I see that this was a recurring theme for him.


“Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me.” (1 Corinthians 4:16)


“Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.” (1 Corinthians 11:1)


“Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.” (Ephesians 5:1)


“You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit.”
(1 Thessalonians 1:6)


In his letter to the Philippians, he provides us with a great test to evaluate how worthy we are of imitation:


“The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:9)


Can I say that what people:


· Learn from me
· Receive from me
· Hear from me
· See in me


Is worthy of imitation? Is worthy of practicing?


And if they do, will it bring them closer to God?


Are you worthy of imitation?

2 comments:

KirkKrew said...

I really like this:

"In any situation I should act in such a way that if other people in the same situation acted the same way it would be OK with me."

I think that I could relate that to my students and have them understand ethics and integrity...

Good stuff!

KARA said...

Once again some good ol' thought provoking but at the same time "back to basics" stuff - LOVE IT! You know, they built a whole marketing strategy around this point - "WWJD" (even though it has become a little overdone these days). Besides, we know what Jesus would do: he would teach, show, talk and act in a way that is worthy of imitation. Maybe I should go make some "BWOI" bracelets! haha