Site Meter

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Jabez 2.0

"Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother named him Jabez saying, 'Because I bore him with pain.'

Now Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that You would bless me indeed and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!

And God granted him what he requested. " 1 Chronicles 4:9-10

I have prayed the Prayer of Jabez on a regular - not daily, but regular - basis for several years now. Until this year, I always wanted God to answer my prayer in terms of new consulting opportunities that would provide additional income. Additional income was a tangible blessing that we could then use to bless others - buying dinners, buying lunches, giving beyond the tithe and offering commitments we had made. And God answered those versions of my Jabez Prayer.

When this year began, I intentionally shifted the focus of my Jabez Prayer: I asked God to "enlarge my border" by expanding my sphere of influence. I asked Him to expand my border relationally.

God has extended His favor on me and answered that prayer. We have met so many new people this year, primarily through the Marriage That Lasts class and the Influence Groups at Fellowship Church.

My territory has been expanded. My sphere of influence has been expanded. And God has kept His hand upon me. He has kept me from harm and the expanded territory has not pained me.

So, I am going to keep on praying:

"Oh that You would bless me indeed and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!"


No comments: