Site Meter

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Savor This Book

I know...


Usually we think about savoring a good meal - like Justin's birthday dinner or that Father's Day feast on steroids - or maybe even an ice cold Dublin Dr. Pepper, but you must read ... and savor this book: The Help by Kathryn Stockett.


It's been a while since I was so captivated by a book. I read this one slowly, I didn't want it to end, and I was sorry when it was over.


The setting is early-sixties Mississippi and the story centers around an aspiring writer who solicits the assistance of the town's African-American maids to tell their story about what it's like working for the wealthy white families.


"Working for" is really not the best way to describe these arrangements - the Help actually ran the household and did more to raise the children than the children's parents did. The bond between the Help and the children was so special and so strong - you could feel the love they had for one another.


The characters were so well developed I felt like I knew them personally. I became so emotionally involved I wanted to punch some of those junior-league, sorority exes for their snobby, elitist attitudes. (In fact, if that describes you, you should probably lay low for a while!)


Well, enough preview... go read this book!

No comments: