Site Meter

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

OUCH!

I have often said that we need people in our lives who will tell us the truth and expose our blindspots.

For me, one of those people is my wife. She has a wonderful way of pointing out things that I don’t see.

It happened again this morning.

I was updating the list of books I have read this year. I mentioned to her that I had read 73 books this year.

Laura looked across the table and said: “You know what I have decided about you? You like the bragging rights! You like to brag about how many books you’ve read. You like to brag about how long you rode the bicycle during your workouts.”

Ouch!

But her observation made me wonder:

What is your motive for doing some of the things you do?
Are you only involved in those so you can tell others you are involved?

Are you just in it for the bragging rights?

When I pause and ponder those questions, I have to admit that my motive isn’t always pure. Too often, I do like to brag, I do like the attention.

Ouch!

But I am thankful that I have someone in my life who loves me enough to challenge my motives and reveal the stuff that’s in my blindspot.

Even when it hurts.

No comments: