Site Meter

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Passion of a Professional

In the book, Everything They Had: Sports Writing from David Halberstam, there is a great quote from Julius Erving:

"Being a professional is doing the things you love to do, on the days you don't feel like doing them."


Halberstam used the quote to explain his own passion for writing, whether it was about history or sports.

I get it. You see, I am a professional teacher.

I am so blessed that I get to do what I love to do - what God has gifted me to do - and earn a great living doing it.

But there are days when I just don't feel like doing it. On those days, I often reflect on the notes and comments I have received from students over the years. Many of those notes were sent when the student had no way of knowing that I was in a funk. I think the Lord knew and He prompted them to send the note.

And when I read those notes I am reminded - again - that its not about me. I am reminded of why I do this. And I apologize to God for forgetting what a blessing it is to get to earn a living doing what I love to do - even when I don't feel like it.

No comments: