Site Meter

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Readings for Leading

Several weeks ago I had the privilege of meeting a man I think is one of the greatest communicators and leaders I have ever known. Getting to meet him personally was a great honor. And his personal humility was refreshing. During our brief conversation, he asked me “What leadership books should I be reading that I haven’t read yet?”

I didn't give a very good answer at the moment, but I thought about it for a couple of days and then sent an email to a member of his leadership team.

It’s a pretty good list for all of us who are interested in leadership, so I thought I would share it with you as well.

One of the best "spiritual" leadership books I have ever read is J.I. Packer's book on Nehemiah, Passion for Faithfulness: Wisdom from the Book of Nehemiah. The intro was challenging, but when he gets into the book of Nehemiah it is great!

Other "spiritual" leadership book recommendations:

Henri Nouwen, In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership

Reggie McNeal, A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders

One of the best leadership books ever is Ron Heifetz and Martin Linsky, Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading. He has an interesting framework based on a distinction between technical problems and adaptive challenges. A technical problem exists where the problem is identified, the solution is known, and the leader provides the answer. An adaptive challenge exists when we have to learn our way to understanding the problem, learn our way to the solution, and the locus of the solution is the people with the problem. The leader's job is to facilitate the adaptive work. The last part of this book is the best treatment I have seen on what leader's need to do to guard their hearts and stay in the game.

Finally, if y'all haven't read The Arbinger Group's Leadership and Self-Deception, I highly recommend it as well. It's a fable, like Lencioni's stuff. Really good.

That was the original list I sent. With several weeks of additional thought I would also add:

Bill Hybels, The Courageous Leader
Andy Stanley, Visioneering and The Next Generation Leader
Craig Groeschel, It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It

Let me know when you finish this list and I will give you some additional recommendations.

As I tell my students: Read Early; Read Often!
(kind of like voting in Chicago!)


No comments: