Site Meter

Thursday, January 22, 2009

"An easy read, but not easy to read"


I sat across the table from Jeff as he poured his heart out about a struggle he was having. He had finished his MBA and was now working at a high-paced start up operation. All the time he thought he would be able to devote to his wife and family after the MBA was completed was now being consumed by his job. And his wife was getting the leftovers.

As I listened, I could relate. In spite of my mentor’s intervention in the early stages of my career, I have struggled with this throughout my 30-year marriage. Jeff’s story was my story.

I looked across the table at Jeff and said, “There’s a book I want you to read. It’s an easy read, but it is not easy to read.” The book was Andy Stanley’s Choosing to Cheat. And much of what I have been sharing with y’all on my blog is based on that book.

Here are some other resources that may be helpful if you are struggling with your “work-life balance”:

Several books by Doug Sherman and William Hendricks helped me formulate my thinking on what God’s view of success looked like:

Your Work Matters to God

How to Succeed Where it Really Counts

How to Balance Competing Time Demands

A great resource that helped me understand that my whole life was to be lived as an act of worship is John MacArthur’s Worship: The Ultimate Priority.

With those recommendations, I must also issue a word of caution:

Sometimes we substitute reading and learning about a subject for doing what we know we need to do.

No comments: