Site Meter

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Only Cheaters Win, Part 3

I thought I would only have two parts to this Only Cheaters Win idea, but Kara asked a great question in her comment, so I decided to add part 3.

Here's how I see this playing out: We make a commitment, and often part of our commitment is making a plan. Remember, we need to make sure we don't leave God out of this planning process. In Daniel's case, his plan included "seeking permission" for his commitment (really a challenge) and God's hand was on the situation.

I think Kara shows some great self-awareness in recognizing her tendency to plan and then commit. But sometimes, we need to make the commitment even without a plan, and ask God to help us develop the plan.

We also need to be careful that we don't substitute "planning" for making a commitment we know we should make. This amounts to "work avoidance" and is a subtle way of keeping us from making some hard decisions we need to make.

As I write that, I am reminded of Craig Groeschel's admonition: "The gap between where you are and where God wants you to be is the hard decision you refuse to make."

(Sometimes I wish I had never heard that!)

In the workplace, we need to always do our work in a way that honors God. And a big part of that is to submit to the authority that is over us. That's where the "seeking permission" part comes in.

So commit-with or without a plan- pray, seek permission, and watch the "Now God" moments unfold.

2 comments:

KARA said...

And isn't it just like God to answer my questions with such simplicity...and a little dose of Craig Groeschel!! Ironic (read:God's sense of humor) that you quoted him as I think he is FANTASTIC and am hoping to hear him at C3 nights. Man did his words hit the nail on the head. Here I am thinking I'm including God by praying with my planning when in fact if I was REALLY including him I would, in the words of Nike, Just Do IT! Pops (you don't mind if I call you that do ya??) - you always make me think...keep on posting! Sorry for the long comment ...again :)

Janelle said...

Daddy-I love reading your blog!!! I'm proud to be youngest (and if I must say favorite!!) daughter of such a wise man!I love you!!Nellers