Site Meter

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Relational Inventory Part 2

Relational Inventory Part 2

While I am on this theme of relational inventory, I thought it might be helpful to provide some context for this stream of thoughts.

In a former life, I was responsible for the largest tangible asset our company owned – the inventory. Periodically I would do an analysis that classified our inventory based on activity level and usage. The “A” inventory made up only 20 % of the total, but produced 80% of our sales. The obvious goal was to manage the inventory mix so as to maximize this good stuff and minimize the slow moving inventory.

So when I did my relational inventory analysis, I thought about the “mix” of relationships in my life. The goal is to maximize time with VRP, VIP, and VTP.

But that does not mean we should ignore VNP or VDP. In fact, we should always treat them with dignity and compassion. They have the potential to become a VRP. They may be just a Barnabas away from getting on the right path.

Another artifact of my previous life is the various inventory accounting methods that were used. You are probably familiar with LIFO (Last In, First Out) and FIFO (First In, First Out).

Here’s another one you may not be familiar with FISH. I spent an inordinate amount of my inventory management life with FISH: First In, Still Here. In terms of inventory management, FISH were “Not Good.”

I am not sure about labeling relationships in terms of LIFO and FIFO. Both of those suggest relationships that no longer exist. But, I am thankful for the FISH in my life! Friends that are “First In and Still Here.”

I have a couple of FISH: Badger and Rick. They have been close friends since high school – “back in the day” when we all had hair and it was long.

I am always so proud to introduce those guys to my family and friends. In the words of Guy Clark, Badger and Rick “have answers to some questions I would not dare to ask.” And so do I!

I love these men.

I am glad they were first in and still here.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Daddy, you're my FISH!! I love you very, very much!!