Site Meter

Saturday, March 7, 2009

"Sir"

I have never been one for the formality of language. I didn’t say “yes, sir” and “no, ma'am” to my parents when I was a kid. And we didn’t insist that our kids do that with us.

Interestingly, they always did this with other adults.

I know some people think that’s a sign of respect, but I am just not that hung up about it.

I don’t insist that people refer to me as “Doctor” either. In fact my students call me by my first name…even the freshmen call me by my first name. It rankles some of my colleagues who demand that students show respect.

If you want to be respected, you need to be respectable. And if you are, people will respect you. If you have to demand that others respect you, then something’s missing.

This week I ran into a young friend of mine twice. Jeff is twenty years younger than I am. And every time I see him, I am reminded of a conversation we had a few years ago.

We had gone out to eat with Jeff and his wife. The parking lot at Northpark Mall was crowded and we knew we would have to park way out, so we dropped our wives off at the door. As Jeff and I were walking to the restaurant, I said something and Jeff responded, “Yes, sir.”

I said, “Jeff, don’t call me sir. You make me feel old.”

Jeff grinned and said, “You are old, sir.”

3 comments:

KARA said...

What about if we call you Pops...even though you aren't my grandpa and hardly old enough to be my dad - is that disrespectful?? HAHA My mom never wanted to be called Ms. Kelly and it took a long time for my West-Texas-raised husband to get used to that. She, like you, wasn't hung up on it at all. I was always pretty relaxed about it myself but do try to ask others what they "want" to be called since I know here in Texas some can be pretty "formal".

Idziak said...

I can relate to this. Whenever I was younger Jay Lee would get upset with me everytime I called him Mr. Whittington. He would say "Paul it's Jay Lee!". Then I said "Yes Sir!"

Marc Hernandez said...

Sir, you are a rock star in my book! I love you bro, and I love that you are authentic and approachable...worth imitating!