Site Meter

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Announcing My Retirement

At some point Friday I made a decision.

I decided to retire.

I have been doing this since I was a junior in high school and I think 35 years is enough for this career.

Over the years too many people had seen my resume and knew my background. They also knew I had this deep need for their approval and hated to say no. And, if I do say so myself: I was good at it!

When I began this, my first boss was excited to have hired a strong, burly football player. Although I am not as strong, I am still burly. I have worked out everyday since December 26, 2008 with one exception, but that did not get me in shape for Friday.

So, I am retiring.

I made this decision sometime Friday.

Sometime Friday as we carried triple dressers down three flights of apartment stairs.

Sometime Friday as I loaded sofas and mattresses into an open trailer.

Sometime Friday when I was tying stuff down and it was raining so hard I couldn’t see across the trailer, I made the decision:

I AM RETIRING.

The next time someone in our circle of family and friends decides to move, I will not be helping them.

I have retired.

4 comments:

Lolly said...

The Firefighters Movers we paid the last time they moved were definitely worth the money! Even thought I didn't physically move, it was mental for me worrying about you.

Two down, one to go. At least with Janelle, there is no furniture. Just a bunch of junk.

You have my permission to retire!

Jordan said...

Thank you so much for your help, Daddy!!!!!! I love you!!! definitely could not have done it without you!!!!

Janelle said...

I'm so mad at you Daddy!! I have friends here to help me carry heavy boxes, but you're supposed to help your baby out!!! :)

KirkKrew said...

I will accept your retirement!! Lamar and I have lived in 5 houses alone since we were married, and you've helped with most if not ALL of those! You and I have had some good road trips though moving Justin and Jor back and forth to Abliene...those I will miss, but moving washers/dryers - not so much!

Thank you for always helping us any time with whatever we need! You are the BEST!