Site Meter

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Soccer Memories

It’s been a long time since I bundled up to go watch a soccer game.

Last Saturday, my granddaughter – Landrie – played her first soccer game. I bundled up in my heaviest coat and ear muffs and stood in the cold to watch her.

And a flood of memories were unleashed. You see, Landrie’s game was at the same YMCA where Jennifer (Landrie’s mom), Justin, Jordan, and Janelle all played their first soccer games.

Maybe we should say it’s where they were first on a soccer field with a soccer ball and another team. If you’ve ever observed this, its hard to call it soccer – maybe herd ball would be better. I can still remember that Jordan and her cousin Kyndra were more interested in chasing the butterflies than the soccer ball.

The soccer fields were right next to the baseball fields where Jennifer and Justin played their first t-ball games. I remembered the game when Jennifer was in the pitcher position and was hit hard in the stomach by a line drive. She picked the ball up and threw to Justin covering first base and made the out. Then, she started crying. Always make the play! I also remembered the time when the bases were loaded and one of the kid's dad told him that the “weight of the free world was on his shoulders” as he stepped to the tee.

Janelle was at those games too. A bald headed baby girl. To make sure everyone knew she was a girl, Laura glued a little bow on her head. (Our babies always had bows; well, not Justin…) All of the kids inherited my complexion and tan very easily. So, Janelle’s little bald head was tanned nicely – except for the bow shaped untanned spot!

So here I was last Saturday. All bundled up with my back to the north wind, trying to watch Landrie’s game amidst the flood of memories that were washing through my head.

2 comments:

KirkKrew said...

Those were the days! I was just reminding mom of the mud bowl we played in and had to go to the car wash to hose off between games. It's so different but so fun to be on the other side. Thanks for coming to watch Landrie and cheer her on!

Janelle said...

Aww Daddy, I know i'm so dramatic..but this post made my cry!! :) I remember dying to be out there with the older kids.

I also remember trying to impress you when I would have Mr. Idziak as my ref and would always get in trouble for my hands. haha

I LOVE YOU POPS!!