Site Meter

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Called or Driven? Part 1

I find that there are some books that I return to time and time again. Gordon MacDonald's Ordering Your Private World is one of those. In fact, there are several of his books that I draw from frequently.

I usually don't post entries from my journal here, but I feel led to do so this time. These thoughts are based on my journal entry on Friday April 3.

Since I assigned this book as required reading for my class this summer, I decided I would re-read it so that the material would be fresh (you know - so the stream would be running).

When I came to the chapters on called versus driven I had to take a deep breath. I have fought the driven thing for a while, but as I read the characteristics again I could see that perhaps I have been more driven than I realize. And of course I have gone far too long - and still have periods - where I do not cultivate the inner person with near enough intentionality and diligence.

"Be diligent" Paul says to Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15. I looked diligent up in the dictionary: "constant and earnest in effort and application."

It's so easy to be diligent on external matters - things that others can see and approve - but its difficult to be diligent on the hidden things - and yet it is the hidden things of the heart that will ultimately sustain us - or not.

Soil preparation, foundations, and structural strength are all necessary to build beautiful buildings. We marvel at what we see, yet think little, if at all, about the preparation and the strength of what is not seen.

As I write this down I am reminded of a walk with Justin around the neighborhood when he was very young. We came to a telephone pole on the street and he noticed how tall it was. And then he asked me, "How deep do they have to dig the hole in order for that tall telephone pole to be sturdy?"

It was a profound question: How deep does the foundation have to be in order to support the structure?

As I was reading Ordering Your Private World last night, I was reminded of Andy Stanley's quote that your giftedness and talents (external stuff) have the potential to take us further than our character (inner person of the heart) can sustain us. He adds: "And that ought to scare you!" If the pole doesn't have its "roots" planted deeply in the ground it will not be able to stand tall.

So Lord, don't let me take the inner person - the soul condition - for granted. Help me to be diligent in cultivating the inner person of the heart.

No comments: