Site Meter

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lessons from Leland

When I first became a manager, my dad told me that my job was to create an environment where people could perform.

When I began teaching, my dad told me that my job was to create an environment where people could learn.

The parallel advice was striking: As a leader and as a teacher the fundamental task is to create an environment where people can perform, learn, grow, flourish and become all that God designed them to be.

How do we create that environment?

Here are some ideas:
  • Get to know the people you are leading and teaching so that you can customize your leadership style to their needs. One style does not fit all!
  • Identify their strengths, their giftedness, and their passion.
  • Try to match their strengths, gifts, and passions with a job that will tap into those characteristics.
  • Encourage and support them.
  • Look for opportunities to stretch them.
  • Use delegation as a developmental tool.
  • Create the right environment by providing resources and opportunities.
  • Create the right environment by removing organizational obstacles that get in the way of them performing at their best.
  • Buffer them from the distractions of organizational politics and non-essential tasks.

As a leader, as a teacher, as a parent: "Create an environment where people can perform, learn, and grow."

No comments: