Site Meter

Friday, July 9, 2010

Bad Leadership - Part 2

In a previous post, I discussed the seven types of Bad Leadership that were identified by Barbara Kellerman.

She points out that in every case of bad leadership, followers played an important role. They either actively supported the leader’s behavior, or passively allowed it … and failed to confront.

There are several explanations for follower compliance in cases of Bad Leadership:

1. The follower’s values may actually be aligned with those of the leader. As with Jim Jones and the People’s Temple, these followers drank the Kool-Aid and cannot see the leader as “bad.” In fact, they become the most ardent supporters of the leader and actively seek to eliminate any who dissent.

2. The follower doesn’t have the courage to speak up. This is often due to having seen others who spoke up being berated or even dismissed. As I write this I am reminded of the quote: “All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing.”

3. The follower actually see’s the leader’s behavior as bad, but cannot afford to lose their position. In spite of the bad leadership, these followers are being compensated – through position, prestige, and income – in a way that they would not be in any other organization. They don’t stay because they want to; they stay because they have to.

I have had the privilege of having had several mentors. Early in my career, the founder and CEO of the company I was working for took me under his wing. One of the many lessons I learned from him was: “Don’t defend a bad job.”

The lesson had to do with defending shabby work – either my own or that of someone who worked for me. The basic lesson was this: own the problem. Don’t deny that it exists. Do whatever you can to fix it.

I think that’s a good lesson for followers: “Don’t defend a bad job.” Don’t deny problems with a leader’s behavior. Do what you can to help the leader.

I realize that this can be difficult. Often when a leader is derailing, he or she is not open to feedback and those who raise questions or attempt to confront the issues, are punished or dismissed.

Yet, to continue to support a derailing leader may require a follower to compromise their own integrity.

It’s a tough call, but: Abandon the mission before you abandon your integrity.

No comments: