Site Meter

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Benefits of Margin - Part 1

These days I have a lot of margin in my schedule. One of the benefits of this is that I am getting a lot of reading done.

I try to vary the reading so that it is balanced: History, Biography, Leadership, Theology, and some novels. Laura always gets concerned when I read with a pencil in my hand. She knows that it is not "light" reading when I underline and write in the margins.

I have also developed the habit of reading more than one book at a time. I have books I read in the morning during my "quiet time." (By the way - I don't like that phrase. Its way too churchy for me, but I don't know what else to call it. If you have suggestions for an alternate label, please let me know). I just finished another of the John MacArthur Old Testament studies - Losing the Promised Land. I am not sure what I will read next in this slot.

Then I have books I read when I am riding the bike at the gym. Yes, I do that - because I need something to keep my mind occupied for 45-60 minutes. The current gym book is What is God Really Like? It is edited by Craig Groeschel and contains several chapters written by pastors who participate in the One Prayer project.

Then I have books I read at night. I read myself a bedtime story. Right now, I am alternating between a novel: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and a biography: John Adams. These books are competing for my attention; the dragon tattoo has been winning the last few days.

After 25 years of being gainfully overemployed, having so much margin has required some adjustments on my part. I am finding a new normal in a schedule that is not packed wall-to-wall with meetings, presentations, and other events. Actually, this new normal fits my preference for non-structured and spontaneous living very well.

I am blessed to have margin.

No comments: