Site Meter

Monday, July 5, 2010

The Benefits of Margin - Part 2

These days, the calendar has lots of open space. Scheduled appointments and meetings are few and far between. This works very well for a person who likes to be spontaneous, and having margin means you can respond quickly to opportunities.

Like a couple of weeks ago: My friend Mark emailed me that he was in town that day. The email came in around 9:00 and we had lunch that day.

That was actually the start of a great week. Tuesday I had coffee with an executive I am coaching. Then had lunch with Jon - one of the Sunday Men.

On Wednesday I spent the afternoon with two more executive coaching clients.

I had lunch with Justin on Thursday. That afternoon, I went to see Toy Story 3 with Laura, Jennifer, Shannon, Landrie & Karsyn (5 of the seven significant ladies in my life).

On Friday afternoon, I had another executive coaching session.

When the week began, I only had 2 things planned. By the end of the week, I'd had one of the best - and fullest - weeks I've had in a while.

There's a lesson here:

Margin provides freedom. But with that freedom comes the responsibility to use it wisely and invest in others.

I think I will call that the stewardship of margin.

No comments: