Site Meter

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Finishing Strong

During a conversation with a friend the other day we were joking with each other that we were in the “Second Half.” (Of course, he’s further into the second half than I am!)

As I thought about this, I began reflecting on some men that I know who are even further into the second half. In fact, they are well into the fourth quarter. But they are still in the game, fighting the good fight.

One of these men is Dean. Dean is in his eighties, still working full-time and more excited about his ministry now than he has ever been. Last year he sat in on a class I taught because (in his words), “I have so much to learn.”

I hope when I am in my eighties I still have the passion to serve and the desire to learn.

Another man I think of is Foy. He was in a small group leadership training program I was conducting a few years ago. One week we met in his home that he had lived in for 50+ years. During the refreshment time, I mentioned to him that I was always surprised to see people in his generation at a church that was intentionally focused on young people. I said, “I know the music must drive you crazy.” I had barely finished the sentence when Foy said, “But it’s not about me!”

I hope when I am Foy’s age I am still attending training sessions to equip me for a new ministry assignment.

I hope I will be able to say “It’s not about me” when the style of worship doesn’t line up with my personal preferences but is having a huge impact on others.

Dean and Foy are well into the Second Half. They have chosen to Finish Strong.

May their tribe increase!


"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith."

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Love it Daddy!!! Dean is one of the greatest people to work with...you are so much like him!!! Both great GOD FOCUSED, GENUINE PEOPLE!! I love you!!!!!