Site Meter

Thursday, May 28, 2009

I Know Why I Am Here

In my first post on Visioneering I discussed the benefits of having a clear sense of vision. Benefit number 4 was:

"It helps us to know why we are here and why our presence matters."


When I was in high school I had the privilege of playing football for the Arlington Colts. Two men on that coaching staff had a profound impact on my life, head coach Bill Carter and assistant coach, Bob Howington. You don’t have to hang around me for long before I break out in a story about those men.

They were worthy of imitation. And they are part of my legacy logic. I am trying to thank them by being to others what they were to me.

One of my favorite Coach Howington stories has to do with a day that this very mild mannered man became very angry with our sloppy execution in practice. He went off on us like I had never seen (or ever saw again). Yet in the midst of it all he was smiling.

After practice was over – and the heat of the moment had passed – I asked Coach Howington if could ask him a question: (Isn’t that a funny way to approach someone?). He responded, “Yes.” (I can hear his unique voice as I write that). I asked, “How can you get so upset with us like you did today and still be smiling?”

He responded, “It’s because I know why I am here.”

I have to admit that as a 16-year old kid, I walked away wondering what in the world he meant by that. But, I never forgot it and after several years of pondering, I finally realized what he meant.

You see, Coach Howington had a clear sense of purpose – a vision – that provided a framework for his life. He knew he was there to influence us to become the men that God wanted us to be. He knew why he did what he did and he did all that he did to bring honor and glory to His Lord.

That's why he could smile even when he was upset with us: He knew why he was there.

Coach Howington’s work with us reminds me of Paul’s work with the Thessalonians:

“…we were exhorting and encouraging and imploring each one of you as a father would his own children, so that you would walk in a manner worthy of the God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.”

Do you know why you are here?

No comments: