Site Meter

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Visioneering - Part 1


For some time now I have wanted to discuss “the vision thing.” So this is the first of several posts about Visioneering.

(My spell check doesn’t ever like that word – but I like it, so my spell check just needs to get over it! ... OK, now I have added it to the dictionary).

Visioneering is the title of Andy Stanley’s book and he defines it as “the course one follows to make dreams a reality. It is the process whereby ideas and convictions take on substance.”

Here’s his formula for the process:

Visioneering = Inspiration + Conviction + Action + Determination + Completion.

According to him, "Vision is a clear mental picture of what could be, fueled by the conviction of what should be. Vision is a preferred future, a destination. Vision always stands in contrast to the world as it is."

We often think about organizations having vision statements, and I think that is important. But, I think that we as individuals also need to have a vision for our life. Vision provides several benefits:

Passion. A clear vision generates strong emotions. It creates excitement as we anticipate our desired future.

Motivation. Vision provides the motivation to persevere the hardships involved in pursuit of something worthwhile. Two –a - days in August and grueling spring trainings are worth it when you can frame it in the context of pursuing championships.

Direction. Vision provides a road map for our lives and simplifies decision making. With a clear sense of vision, there are some options I don’t need to consider. They aren’t consistent with the vision and don’t even need to be evaluated.

Purpose. The uniqueness of our vision gives a sense of meaning and purpose to our lives.

My wife, Laura, has a clear sense of my vision and purpose. Sometimes her vision of my vision is clearer than my own. I begin to drift and start considering some wild ideas. She brings me back on track by saying: “You don’t even need to pray about that!”

Vision provides a sense of direction. Vision simplifies decision-making. Vision keeps your purpose clear and provides the passion to energize your efforts.

Vision allows you to be intensely intentional in everything you do.


Do you have a vision for your life?

No comments: