Site Meter

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day Feast

I actually thought it was Thanksgiving Day.

Laura spent the entire day cooking up a FEAST for Father's Day.

Prepare yourself before you read this next paragraph - it will make you hungry.

The main course was Chicken Fried Steak, complete with cream gravy and mashed potatoes. This was complimented by her special recipe baked beans, green bean casserole, fresh corn, Chinese cole slaw, and Sister Schubert's rolls. My mother supplemented the feast with her deviled eggs and red fruit jello (Gramma's signature dishes). And of course for dessert we had my favorite - Blackberry Cobbler. The growing season for blackberries is short, so there's a strategic window of time when you can get fresh blackberries for the cobbler. Fortunately, the strategic window falls around Father's Day.

The food feast was only part of it. All of the kids and grandchildren were here. My mother was here and our neighbor, Pat, joined the fun. We lingered over the food, we lingered over the conversation. It was a wonderful time.

As I have reflected over the day, I realize - again - how blessed I am.

It really was Thanksgiving Day.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

We are so blessed to have the greatest Daddy and Pops!!!!!! Love you!!!!

KirkKrew said...

It was a Thanksgiving Day indeed! We have so much to be thankful for and you top the list! We love you!!!

The York Family said...

J.Lee, I told Laura that if she cooks like that every Father's Day, then I'll be headed to your house next year! Yummy!! I'm so glad that you had an awesome day. You sure deserve it!