Site Meter

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rant No More

I have a rant button. Certain topics trigger a script that seems to emerge automatically.

I have decided - with some helpful insight and feedback from Laura - that these rants just aren't very pretty.

Some of you know these scripts. In fact, you could quote me verbatim.

(As a matter of fact, you probably do imitations of me when you are with your brother and sisters. And your asking yourself right now: "How did he know that?")

So, I have made a mid-year (perhaps a mid-life resolution):

I will no longer rant when these topics come up.

I realize that for some of you my going public is a "throw down" challenge. You plan to see how strong my commitment is.

Others are asking: "I wonder what those buttons are?"

Well, here they are. (This is not a rant; it's just a list of the things that used to push my button and why):

Ronald Reagan: Over-rated; rhetoric did not match with reality. (Now before you rant at me for having ranted about Reagan, please read Sleepwalking Through History by Haynes Johnson and James David Barber's classic, The Presidential Character. And by the way... I voted for him twice.)


Kareem Abdul Jabar: "Kareem asked Coach Jerry West how many minutes he would be playing in today's playoff game, so he would know how to pace himself." I thought there was only one pace when you were in the game. My bad.


Jerry Jones: Fired Tom Landry on the golf course; winning more important than character.


Chop Blocking: When the offensive line averages 300+ and they run 4.8 40's, you don't need to chop anybody. Just drive them out of there!


OK. I may waver some on that last one when the high school football season starts up. My son-in-law will be coaching the offensive line this fall. He has promised me that they will not chop-block.

Don't push my button!

1 comment:

KirkKrew said...

I won't be holding my breath on the last one! Even I know not to chop block! :)