Site Meter

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Leaders are Learners

One of my biggest disappointments came when a leader that I greatly admired told me not to give him anymore books or articles on leadership. He said he knew all he needed to know and wasn't interested in learning anything new.

Wow. I couldn't believe he said that.

That was over 25 years ago and the comment still haunts me. I hope I never get to the point that I think I have learned all I need to know about leadership - or husbanding, parenting, or any kind of relationship for that matter!

One of favorite contemporary leaders is Bill Hybels, the founding pastor of Willow Creek Community Church. He is a leader of leaders and continues to challenge himself and others to grow as a leader.

At the close of the Leadership Summit last year, Hybels issued this challenge:

"Those with leadership gifts have to step up and step it up.

In order to do so, leaders must engage in leadership development as a discipline, not as recreation.

A leader has to read to develop as a leader and they have to be around other leaders. If a leader is going to continue to grow as a leader, they must go where leadership is taught."

Hybels' challenge tells me that as leaders we must be intentional about investing in our own leadership development. We cannot afford to slack off on this and become stagnant.

So, given this challenge, let me ask: How are you doing on the discipline of developing your leadership?

Are you reading about leadership?

Are you seeking out other leaders?

Are you finding environments that teach leadership?


Or have you already learned everything you need to know about leadership?

No comments: