Site Meter

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Marks of a Mentor

I have been blessed to have had several mentors throughout my life. The impact these men had on me is hard to describe. It’s even more difficult to fully express the gratitude I have for their investment in me. I have tried to express my gratitude to them in several ways on several occasions. Those efforts never seem to be adequate.

Several years ago it dawned on me that the best way to say “Thank You!” is to be to others what they are to me. In essence, the best way to thank them is to pay it forward.

I call this process Legacy Logic.

These men were mentors for me, and now I have the privilege of being a mentor to others. I know I am biased, but I think we all need mentors, and we need them throughout our lifespan and and in the various arenas of our lives.

So, what should you look for in a mentor? Here are some characteristics that mark effective mentors:

• Seems to have what you personally need
• Cultivates relationships
• Is willing to take a chance on you
• Is respected by other Christians
• Has a network of resources
• Is consulted by others
• Both talks and listens
• Is consistent in their lifestyle
• Is able to diagnose your needs
• Is concerned with your interests

Do you have someone like this in your life? If so, be thankful and express your gratitude.

If not, ask God to guide you to someone who can play this important role in your life.

No comments: